My mother is an awesome cook and taught me many of the recipes I use. However, over the years I have taken her recipes and changed many of them out here and there to suit my own tastes. On this page I will highlight various recipes that I have used over the years. Feel Free to borrow them and make them your own!
Grandma Watkins Persimmon Pudding
(more like a cake/bread than a pudding)
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 7⁄8 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup persimmon pulp
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped raisens
Sift flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix in persimmon pulp, milk, and vanilla. Add walnuts and raisens….. Stir well. Grease and flour 8 x 8 baking pan. Pour mixture into pan then set that pan into another pan with about an inch of water in it. Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour or may steam for 1 1⁄2 hours. Serve hot with whipped cream or a hard sauce if you like.
Momma’s Carrot Cake
- 3 cups unsifted flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can 20 oz. crushed pineapple (well-drained – reserve 1/2 cup juice for later use)
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Mix first 5 ingredients and crushed pineapple in one bowl. Mix eggs, sugar, mayonnaise and 1/2 cup juice. Gradually add flour mixture. Bake at 350 degrees in well greased and floured loaf pan or one 13 x 9 baking pan.
Silky Lemon Frosting
- 1 pkg 8oz. cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners sugar
Beat all ingredients until light and fluffy…use to frost Carrot Cake!
Mom’s Corn Chowder
Peel and cut in 1/4 inch cubes:
- 12 potatoes
- 6 onions
cook in water in large pan.
Cut up and fry:
- 6-8 slices bacon
add to potatoes.
When cooked add:
- 1 can corn
- 7 cups milk
Heat to almost boiling then add:
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch melted in cold water
Stir constantly…add salt, pepper and butter to taste….serve with crackers.
- Flour Tortillas – about 6-8
- 1 lb ground beef (use your leftover chicken or turkey if you like!)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tsp. mexican oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. white sugar
- 1-2 green chili pepper, I prefer to use the roasted ones
- 1 large can spicy refried beans
- 3 -4 diced Roma tomato’s
- Green Chili Sauce
- 1 diced Roasted Green Chili (to top cassarole with)
- 8 oz Mexican Style shredded Cheese
- Enchilada Seasoning packet
- Cream of Mushroom Soup (mix with Green Chili Sauce for a different flavor)
- 1-2 Jalapeno Peppers – sliced to place on top of cassarole
Cook ground meat, drain fat add onion, garlic, and green chili peppers as well as any seasonings. Cook until onions are translucent. Add tomato’s, Refried Beans and white sugar.
Pour Green Chili Sauce into a pie dish, dip the flour tortilla’s through the sauce enough to coat both sides and layer in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Cover these with a layer of the meat mixture, then sprinkle a layer of shredded Mexican style cheese on. Place another layer of flour tortilla’s dipped through the Green Chili Sauce on top of the Cheese and follow with another layer of the meat mixture and another layer of shredded cheese.
Keep layering until all ingredients are used. * I usually have 2 layers of each item followed by a final layer of flour tortillas dipped through the Green Chili Sauce and top the cassarole then with a layer of shredded cheese and some chopped roasted green chili’s. * any leftover meat mixture I refrigerate or freeze and use as a base for taco’s later.
Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
This recipe is enough to feed a family of 5 generous portions
My daughter is in college now and while talking with her the other night she stated “What they call Spaghetti here isn’t spaghetti! All they put in it is a marinara sauce and noodles!” Here is my basic recipe for homemade Spaghetti Sauce WITH meat. Have fun with this recipe, you don’t have to stick to just ground beef for any spaghetti sauce, experiment and try other meats. I have used not only ground beef and turkey but have also switched it up and used ground pork, ground sausage and even leftover chicken in a pinch! My measurements for the spices can also be altered to your own taste! Use this recipe only for a base, then have fun with it and definitely make it your own!
Spaghetti Sauce with Meat
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 cans tomatoe paste
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoon spicy Italian seasoning (you can find the spicy variety at Sams Club)
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 Green Bell Pepper – diced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper – diced
- 1 Green Chili Pepper – diced
- 2 cans diced Tomatoes (in season I like to use fresh diced tomatoes)
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
- Salt to taste as desired
Optional ingrediants to add:
- 2 carrots, diced or grated
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (you can substitute 1 can of sliced drained mushrooms)
- In a large stockpot cook the ground beef, ground turkey, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, green chili pepper, garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook until beef is no longer pink. Drain into a large colander to drain grease.
- To the large saucepot, add the mushrooms, tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon cubes, the various seasonings, sugar, and beef broth and stir well. Pour the meat mixture into the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 2 hours.
Mallory’s Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Brownies
One of my friends Mallory created this recipe! It is very good!
Check out Mallory’s blog @ JRA…. Journal of a Radical Arthritis, Chick
where she gives advice, speak of her experiences and gives information to those who want to better understand Rheumatoid Arthritis and those who suffer from it.
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 4oz cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter or margarine, softened (NOT melted)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips